Water Leak Cost
How much does a leak cost?
Water leaks cost money and depending on the location of the leak, it can be costly to repair any damages that it may have cause.
In 2015 TSC spend $73,521.32 for 20,260,000 gallons of water. Some of this water usage was because of leaks. Some examples of these are dripping water faucets, leaking toilets, irrigation lines. And if the amount of metered water is used to calculate the sewage cost, this will further increase the cost of that leak.
The following list illustrates the potential cost of water that is lost. The amounts are based on a water rate of $.0041 per gallon.
- Dripping leak - A dripping faucet can leak about 15 gallons per day or 450 gallons per month for cost of $1.85 per month
- A 1/32 inch water line break - a 1/32 inch water line break can leak about 202 gallons per day or 6,081 gallons per month for a cost of $24.93 per month
- A 1/16 inch water line break – a 1/16 water line break can leak about 811 gallons per day or 24,328 gallons per month for a cost of $99.75 per month
- A 1/8 inch water line break – a 1/8 inch water line break can leak lead about 3,244 gallons per day or 97,314 gallons per month for a cost of $399.00 per month
- A ¼ inch water line break – a ¼ inch water line break will leak about 12,948 gallons per day or 388,438 gallons per month for a cost of $1,592.60 per month
- A ½ water line break - A ½ water line break will leak about 51792 gallons per day or 1,553,760 gallons per month for a cost of $6,370.42 per month